Popular Posts

Subscribe!

Get e-mail notifications about new posts by submitting your e-mail addres below!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Welcome!

Hello readers,

Welcome to my new blog, Facts For Whatever. This first post will serve as a sort of introduction to both the blog and to me. First off, the site's name is inspired by a lyric from Radiohead's "15 Step," a band you will surely see me write about in the future. My main motivations for creating this blog are pretty simple; my dream in life is to become a journalist, and a blog like this seems like a good way to practice my writing techniques and also a chance to express myself openly without any limitations. In terms of what type of content you'll see posted here, I intend to focus mainly on music-related pieces, including regular features such as "Song of the Week" and "Album or the Week." These features could showcase either a song/album that was released during that particular week or a retrospective review. These retrospectives will be somewhat arbitrary; the Album of the Week feature will contain both album anniversary articles (re: "In Utero" in two months) and any other albums I feel like discussing. I will most likely also post updates on any upcoming release info, reviews of newly released material (if not already mentioned in the aforementioned features), news in the music world, and editorials on music-related topics. The actual music featured on this blog will be similar to that featured on well-renowned music sites such as Pitchfork, Stereogum, and SPIN, all of which are constantly helping me discover new and exciting artists and act as inspiration for starting this blog in the first place.

Non-music content will probably be less frequent, but could still pop up from time to time. These could be on anything from sports to politics or other random musings. Basically anything that's on my mind that I deem worthy of posting and have enough time to write about will show up here.

Now, a little bit about me. In just over a month, I will be starting my junior year of high school near Boston, Massachusetts. As you probably figured out by now, I am an avid music listener, analyzer, and evaluator. Most of the bands I listen to can be described as alternative rock or indie rock, but within those genres my tastes are pretty eclectic. I listen to everything from My Bloody Valentine's shoegaze powerhouses to grunge bands like Nirvana and Hole to Grizzly Bear's gorgeous harmonies, and everything in-between.Away from music, I work for my school newspaper, and I'm a massive fan of soccer (or football for almost anyone outside the US), and support the Premier League club Everton.

Finally, here a couple of lists to give you all a better sense for my taste in music. I hope this blog can both entertain a devoted and invested readership and help me grow as a writer as I progress towards my goals in life. Thanks for your time, and be sure to look out for my first actual piece, a review of my all-time favorite album: Radiohead's "OK Computer."

Top 20 Favorite Albums
1. Radiohead - "OK Computer"
2. Arcade Fire - "The Suburbs"
3. Radiohead - "The Bends"
4. Brand New - "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me"
5. The Joy Formidable - "The Big Roar"
6. Wavves - "Afraid of Heights"
7. Radiohead - "Hail to the Thief"
8. Radiohead - "In Rainbows"
9. Arcade Fire - "Neon Bible"
10. The Strokes - "Is This It"
11. Cloud Nothings - "Attack on Memory"
12. Foo Fighters - "The Colour & The Shape"
13. Foo Fighters - "In Your Honor"
14. Pearl Jam - "Vs."
15. Pavement - "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain"
16. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Stadium Arcadium"
17. Tame Impala - "Lonerism"
18. Hole - "Live Through This"
19. Vampire Weekend - "Modern Vampires of the City"
20. Nirvana - "In Utero"

Top 10 Favorite Bands
1. Radiohead
2. Arcade Fire
3. The Joy Formidable
4. Foo Fighters
5. Brand New
6. Wavves
7. Red Hot Chili Peppers
8. Nirvana
9. Hole
10. Torche


Top 10 Favorite Songs
1. The Joy Formidable - "Whirring"
2. Brand New - "Jesus"
3. Radiohead - "2+2=5 (The Lukewarm)"
4. Radiohead - "Let Down"
5. Foo Fighters - "Best of You"
6. Arcade Fire - "The Suburbs"
7. Foo Fighters - "Everlong"
8. Hole - "Miss World"
9. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Californication"
10. Arcade Fire - "Ready to Start"

Top 10 Albums of 2013 (So Far)
1. Wavves - "Afraid of Heights"
2. Vampire Weekend - "Modern Vampires of the City"
3. My Bloody Valentine - "mbv"
4. Joy Formidable - "Wolf's Law"
5. Queens of the Stone Age - "...Like Clockwork"
6. Deafheaven - "Sunbather"
7. The National - "Trouble Will Find Me"
8. Local Natives - "Hummingbird"
9. Kurt Vile - "Wakin On a Pretty Daze"
10. Mikal Cronin - "MCII"





No comments:

Post a Comment